This page may take a few seconds to load...
Three years later in 1898 she married Leo Jones and set up home in a cottage called Saint Anthony's in the village.Sadly Leo died in June 1907, at the young age of 41 leaving Catherine Lucy Jones to raise their five children - Basil, Francis, Bert, Lawrence and Leona. Catherine got help to look after the little ones from the Nuns next door, who ran the village Catholic School. This enabled Catherine to go back to work part time.In 1911 after receiving a loan of £5 Catherine started her little cottage industry selling haberdashery, from a basket, door to door, to the villagers in Stratton-on-the-Fosse and Chilcompton.
It was when the entrepreneur was born....
On Armistice Day 1918 the family move to 9 Linkmead, another cottage still within the village of Stratton, and it was here the business soon developed. Catherine obtained a secret ice cream recipe from Panicias in Frome, Catherine handmade ice-cream and sweets. The home made confectionery business was a big hit with both the local villagers and the boys from Downside School.On 14th August 1926 Catherine married Edward Savage, and with his business contacts with Imperial Tobacco and Cadburys moved her business forward once more. Selling tea and snacks, in a café erected on the front lawn.In 1933 just across the road, a purpose built shop and function room was erected to cater for weddings and the many charabangs travelling to and from the coast.
Although the business had been trading for some 20 years, it was not until now that the name – L&F Jones - was derived. Catherine named the company after her two daughters – Leona and Francis.
Basil, Catherine's son took over the helm in 1937 and became the village grocer, he decided to extend the café to seat 100 people, enabling us to cater for weddings and functions.
Basil had six sons Leo, Tony, Peter, Laurence, Richard and Christopher.
During the war an American camp was set up in the village and the café was often frequented by the American soldiers including the heavy weight champion of the world Joe Luis. The final wedding at the café was catered for in 1954, and then the café closed. Basil wanted to concentrate on the shop side of the business.
Catherine Lucy - our founder - died in 1955. She was a remarkable business woman. All of her five children had successful career's, and she provided the rock on which our business stands on today.
In 1963 Peter persuaded his father Basil to convert the store into the first self service shop in the area. At various stages during the 1960's three more of Basils sons, Laurence a carpenter, Chris a compositor and Richard a policeman, joined his fourth son Peter, into the business to run another three shops.Sadly Basil died suddenly in November 1967. The Alliance group was joined in 1968, and the four existing stores traded as Fosseway Foodmarkets. Soon afterwards we converted the old café into a cash and carry, thus enabling us to supply other local traders as well as being able to bulk buy for our own stores.In the 1970's we focused our interests on wholesaling and in 1971 we opened a 5,000 square foot cash and carry in Radstock and by 1973 it had been extended to 25,000 square feet. We also joined the Landmark Cash & Carry Group in 1973.In 1977, we purchased a 10,000 square foot catering cash and carry in Shepton Mallet.In 1978 we purchased the Fosseway Golf and Games Club, along with a 9 hole golf course, an indoor swimming pool and two squash courts.
Ten years after joining Landmark in 1983 and with the Cash & Carry business booming L & F Jones moved to its present location - a 58,000 square foot warehouse in Charlton Lane, Midsomer Norton.
The 4-Star BEST WESTERN PLUS Centurion Hotel was built alongside the Fosseway Country Club and opened in April 1987 with 17 rooms and in April 1991 it was enlarged to 44 rooms. The Fosseway Indoor Bowls Centre was opened in 1994 to compliment our leisure business.
The 1990's also saw the revival of the Retail Stores we had now turned a full circle. With the stores purchased since the year 2000, our retail estate has grown, and now stands at 17 shops trading as Jones Convenience Stores.As the popularity of squash declined in leisure it was decided to close the courts and replace them with The Centurion Fitness Centre, which opened in May 2000. The Centurion Hotel joined Best Western in May 2007 and in 2011 has been given their PLUS status - only the 11th Hotel in the UK to achieve this accreditation at the time. In November 2012 the Centurion Hotel